Pages

Sunday 18 March 2012

DRACULA


Every time you watch a TV show, or watch a film, you are taking in the work of a scripwriter. Their work is a screenplay or a script. This is a written work that is made specially for a film or a TV programme.

Using movie scripts to learn English will offer you vocabulary support and review activities for special or interesting movies.

So, let's work with Dracula script! We have read Bram Stoker's story and watched the film. Now click HERE to read Dracula's script and make more intensive work!

ACTIVITY: Working with vocabulary

Choose the correct meaning of these words. Then, find out when they are said.

Example:

Muslim Turks swept into Europe...

A. Muslim Turks cleaned Europe...
B. Muslim Turks expelled people from Europe...
C. Muslim Turks moved into Europe with an overwhelming force of attack... CORRECT

SAID: These words are said in the PROLOGUE.

1. Gone mad.(...) He's lost his greedy mind, poor chap.

A. He's crazy.(...) He's lost his common sense.
B. He's crazy.(...) He's lost his avid and enthusiastic way of being.
C. He's benevolent. (...) He's lost his avaricious mind.


2. The coach speeds away, followed by wolves.

A. The carriage moved forward quickly.
B. The driver moved the vehicle quickly.
C. The driver stopped abruptly.


3. Here I am, almost 20 practically a hag!

A. Here I am, nearly an old woman, over 20 years old.
B. Here I am, a fairly old woman, about 20 years old.
C. Here I am, a beautiful woman, about 20 years old.


4. A foul bauble of man's vanity.

A. A very pleasant valuable jewel of man's vanity.
B. A very unpleasant cheap jewel of man's vanity.
C. A very unpleasant valuable jewel of man's vanity.


5. Escaped wolf from zoo still at large!

A. A wolf has escaped from zoo and it has been caught!
B. A wolf escaped from zoo and it was caught!
C. A wolf has escaped from zoo and it is prowling around.


6. You describe my home as if you had seen it firshand.

A. You describe my home as if you had seen it before.
B. You describe my home as if you had seen it in detail.
C. You describe my home as if you had seen it in your hand.


7. ...Sleep,sleep now, sleep. There, there (he looks at the fangs in her gums)

A. ...Sleep, sleep now, sleep. There, there (he looks at the necklace in her neck)
B. ...Sleep, sleep now, sleep. There, there (he looks at the small holes in her neck)
C. ...Sleep, sleep now, sleep. There, there (he looks at the long canine teeth in her mouth)


8. ...It is Dracula, the undead, the foe I have persued all my life.

A. ...It is Dracula, the undead, the enemy I have persued all my life.
B. ...It is Dracula, the undead, the vampire I have persued all my life.
C. ...It is Dracula, the undead, the animal I have persued all my life.


9. Gentlemen, must we desecrete poor Lucy's grave? She died horribly enough.

A. Gentlemen, must we honor poor Lucy's grave? She died happily enough.
B. Gentlemen, must we purify poor Lucy's grave? She died awfully.
C. Gentlemen, must we commit sacrilege on Lucy's grave? She died awfully.


10. ...I've been rather naughty. I know you. You're the bride my Master covets.

A. ...I've been fairly good. I know you. You're the bride my Master doesn't want.
B. ...I've been fairly disobedient. I know you. You're the bride my Master desires strongly.
C. ...I've been a good servant. I know you. You're the bride my Master desires strongly.


11. I was betrayed. Look what your God has done to me!

A. I was deceived. Look what your God has to done me!
B. I was protected. Look what your God has done to me!
C. I was conforted. Look what your God has done to me!


12. ...Her blood is dying. It's no use.

A. Her blood is dying. It's no idea.
B. Her blood is dying. It's no point.
C. Her blood is dying. There's no purpose.


13. ...Our love is stronger than death.

A. Our love is finished with death.
B. Our love will always live. Death won't stop it.
C. Our love will always live. Death is only the beginning.


DRACULA WEBQUEST

Click Here to get the activity. Prepare the project to hand in.

No comments:

Post a Comment