Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

Conditional II - Unreal Past


Conditional II refers to present or future hypothetical or imaginary situations. It is used when the speaker speculates about a present situation or something that is impossible. Often used to express a wish.

FORMATION
 
(IF Clause)
(Main Clause)
If I won the lottery, I would buy a new house.
or...
(Main Clause)
(IF Clause)
I would buy a new house if I won the lottery.

Note! We never use would, or wouldn't in the if clause.

Examples:
  • If I were you, I wouldn't do that. = I wouldn't do that, if I were you. (I am not you - therefore the condition is unreal).

  • If I had more time, I would do more on my websites. = I would do more on my websites, if I had more time. (I don't have more time - therefore the condition is unreal).

 WERE instead of WAS


In IF Clauses Type II, we usually use WERE – even if the pronoun is I, he, she or it –.

Example: If I were you, I would not do this.

WERE in conditional 2 is a subjuntive form. That is to say,  WERE is used to express an event that is not certain to happen, especially when talking about an event that someone wants to happen, hopes will happen or imagines happening.

Examples:

  • If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
I would like to send an invitation to a friend. I have looked everywhere for her address, but I cannot find it. So now I think it is rather unlikely that I will eventually find her address.


  • If John had the money, he would buy a Ferrari.
I know John very well and I know that he doesn't have much money, but he loves Ferraris. He would like to own a Ferrari (in his dreams). But I think it is very unlikely that he will have the money to buy one in the near future.

And now... let's practise!! Click on the exercises below and practice conditional II, I, and =







Exercise 7 (to print and hand in)

Fill in the gaps with an appropriate conditional form
  1. If it...........................(be) sunny tomorrow, we...........................(go) to the beach.
  2. If the 8 o'clock bus...........................(arrive) late, I...........................(not-get) to work on time.
  3. If I...........................(be) you, I...........................(learn) to speak English fluently.
  4. If I...........................(win) the lottery, I...........................(leave) my job. 
  5. If I...........................(go) to that restaurant, I...........................(tell) you what it's like.
  6. If I...........................(find) an envelope with a lot of money in it in the street, I...........................(take) it to the nearest police station.
  7. If you...........................(boil) water, it...........................(evaporate).
  8. If Heather ...........................(help) me with my homework, I...........................(help) her to clean her room.
  9. If I...........................(not-come) on time for dinner, ...................you....................(keep) my dinner in the oven, please?
  10. If England...........................(win) the match tonight, they...........................(be) in the semi-finals!
  11. If Bob...........................(be) here, he...........................(have) a solution for our problem.
  12. If my mobile...........................(work) properly, I...........................(call) her inmediately.
  13. If you...........................(heat) butter, it...........................(melt).
  14. If you ...........................(stay) under the rain without an umbrella, you...........................(get) wet.
  15. If he...........................(be) in my place, he...........................(not-do) this.

No comments:

Post a Comment