Pages

Saturday 19 May 2012

REPORTED SPEECH - STATEMENTS


We have started studying REPORTED SPEECH. Reported Speech - or indirect speech - is used to tell what people have already said.

Direct speech is the actual words people say. We use speech marks in it.
E.G. Napoleon said: 'I've fought sixty battles and I've learned nothing.'

Indirect Speech reports what someone has said. We do not use speech marks in it.
E.G. Napoleon said that he had fought sixty battles and had learned nothing.

In reported speech we usually begin with a past tense reporting verb (e.g. SAID) and we change all the tenses of the sentence one tense back. This is known as BACKSHIFT.

Click on the image to enlarge it

We also change the words we use to refer to people who spoke.
E.G. Jack said: 'I have finished.'     Jack said he had finished.

In indirect speech words like now, today, here, etc.change, too because there is no longer a 'here and now' reference. The point of view has changed.
E.G. He said: 'I'll see you tomorrow.'      He said he would see me the following day.
Click on the image to enlarge it


SAID or TOLDThese are the most common reporting verbs. Both of them have a similar meaningand they both mean to communicate verbally with someone. But we often use them differently.

The simple way to think of SAID and TOLD is:
☞ You SAID something.                   E.G. He said that he felt ill.
☞ You SAID something to someone. E.G. He said to Maria he felt ill.
☞ You TOLD someone something.   E.G. He told Maria he felt ill.

We don't say  He said Maria he felt ill.


AND NOW, LET'S PRACTISE!!

Click on the links below to practise reported speech

Exercise 1

Exercise 2

Exercise 3

Exercise 4

Exercise 5

Exercise 6

Exercise 7

Exercise 8

Exercise 9

Exercise 10


PREPARE THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES (ACTIVITIES 1 & 2) TO HAND IN

ACTIVITY 1 - Read the information about the Trojan War. Then complete with one pronoun or reference word

1. 'I love you, Helen, and I want you to come with me to Troy,' Paris told Helen.
Paris told Helen that he loved A                                   and he wanted B                                  to go to Troy  with  C                                 .
2. 'I'm going to attack Troy and get my wife back because she loves me best!' Menelaus told his brother.
Menelaus told his brother that he was going to attack Troy and get  D                                wife back because E                                 loved F                                 best.
3.  'We've come with you to Troy and get your wife back,' the Greek heroes told Menelaus.
The Greek heroies told Menelaus that G                                would go with H                                to attack Troy and get  I                               wife back.
4. 'We've been fighting here for nine years and we want to get back to our families,' the Greeks asid.
The Greek said that they had been fighting J                                for nine years and they wanted to get back to K                                families.
5. 'I'm going to take some soldiers with me inside this wooden horse,' Odysseus told them.
Odysseus told them that he was going to take some soldiers with L                                inside M                                 wooden horse.
5. 'My plan has worked, and the city is ours,' Odysseus told the Greeks.
Odysseus told the Greeks that N                                plan had worked and the city was theirs.


ACTIVITY 2 - Read this interview with Heinrich Schliemann. Then rewrite the highlighted sentences into reported speech 

Heinrich Schliemann was a German archaeologist who excavated a city in Turkey in 1871 and decided that it was ancient Troy. He found evidence of destruction by war, and also discovered some gold objects. Nowadays archaeologits believe that his methods of excavation were unscientific, and they also believe that some of his discoveries were false. Otto Gidenmeister, a famous journalists, interviewed him in the 1860s for the Wezer-Zeitung of Bremen.

OTTO: Hello, Herr Schliemann. As you know, recently many experts have been talking about you. And not
everything is good news. They said that you have a habit of not telling the truth, and this has raised a lot of doubts about your work. What do you say about this?
HEINRICH: 1 Those are lies, deliberate lies. Everything I've told the journalists is absolutely true. 
OTTO: And what about being an American citizen? They said it is not true.
HEINRICH: In fact, 2 I'm German but I granted the American citinzenship in 1850. 
OTTO: Did you really get a degree from the University of Rostock? Expersts said in fact the university rejected your thesis...
HEINRICH: Of course I got a degree! 3 I received my archaelogist degree and I devoted my life to my excavations. That's the way I found Troy.  
OTTO: How long have you been interested in Troy?
HEINRICH: 4 I have always been interested in Troy. It has been my passion since I was 8.
OTTO: Why did you get that passion?
HEINRICH: Because 5 my father read Greek stories to me when I was a child.
OTTO: Did you know that you were going to start looking for Troy since you were a child?
HEINRICH: Yes, 6 I have always believed Troy was a real place. And, at an early age, I decided to discover the site of the city.
OTTO: What did you do to accumulate your wealth?
HEINRICH: 7 For many years I worked as a merchant in the USA and Russia.
OTTO: How did you know that Troy could be located at Hissarlik?
HEINRICH: 8 A man called Frank Calvert, an English expatriate, told me something about the place.  I went to the site at Hissarlik in 1868.
OTTO: Who helped you with the money needed for the excavations?
HEINRICH: Noboday helped me, actually. 9 I have spent a lot of my own money on the excavation.
OTTO: Are you working alone at present?
HEINRICH: No. I'm not. 10 I'm working with a British archaelogist now.
OTTO: Some experts said that your work is not completely accurate and they don't believe you're saying the truth.
HEINRICH: 11 We are waiting for some archaelogists' reports in Russia to claim this is completely true.   12 We are hoping to prove that Hissarlik is the site of ancient Troy...

1 'Those are lies, deliberate lies. Everything I've told you is absolutely true.'
Heinrich said that those were lies, deliberate lies. He said that evething he had told the journalists was absolutely true.
2 'I'm German but I granted the American citinzenship in 1850'
... ... ...







IF YOU NEED HELP WITH REPORTED SPEECH, 

WATCH THIS PRESENTATION

Reported speech statements
View more PowerPoint from pvillacanas

IF YOU WANT TO ENLARGE THIS PPP, CLICK ON THE SLIDESHARE LOGO ON THE LEFT   


No comments:

Post a Comment