When athletes come together from around the world to compete in the Olympic and Paralympic Games, they are fulfilling their dreams and competing at the highest level. Billions of people across the globe join in; watching, listening to and reading about the greatest global celebration of sport. Let's celebrate them knowing more about their history and sports.
The Olympic History
► Match the names with the phrases below
- The Ancient Olympics
- The Modern Olympics
- The Summer Olympics
- The Winter Olympics
- The Paralympics
► Complete the sentences with the words below
- The official Olympic _______________ is five coloured rings.
- Each city chooses an original Olympic _______________.
- The Olympic _______________ is another important symbol of the games.
- The ________________ city for the 2012 Olympics is London.
- An Olympic _______________ is a figure that represents the culture of the host country.
► Complete the sentences with the verbs below
- The Olympic Games _______________ about sport, culture and education.
- The Olympic symbol ________________ the unity of the five continents.
- The Olympic Games _______________ every four years.
- A different city ________________ each Olympic Games.
- Sports men and women _______________ in twenty-eight different sports.
- The Olympic Games _______________ more than two weeks.
- Before the games begin, athletes and local people _______________ the Olympic torch from Olympus in Greece to the host city.
At the opening ceremony, the host country _______________ music, theatre, and dance that represents their culture.
ACTIVITY 4 - Olympic Webquest
► Quiz Questions. Click on the links to find the answers