WH- QUESTIONS - They are reported keeping the interrogative pronoun (who, where, when, etc)
- "What time is it?" = He asked me what time it was.
- "Why hasn't he come? = He wanted to knowr why he hadn't come.
- "When are you coming back?" = He asked her when she was coming back.
- "What were you doing?" = They wanted to know what he had been doing.
YES/NO QUESTIONS - They are reported with IF or WHETHER
- "Do you want a ride?" = Mike asked me if I wanted a ride.
- "Are you coming?" = They wanted to know if he was coming.
- "Will you be here later or not?" = She asked me whether I would be there later or not.
NOTE: When we report questions linked with or, the question is reported with whether instead of if
|TYPES OF QUESTIONS||DIRECT SPEECH||REPORTED SPEECH|
|With question word (what, why, where, how...)||"Why" don’t you speak English?”||He asked me why I didn’t speak English.|
|Without question word (yes or no questions)||“Do you speak English?”||He asked me whether / if I spoke English.|